Hello babes! This week we’re talking about the do’s and don’ts of bridal makeup. We know you want to look your best on your special day. Yes, we will come and slay your face on your big day! But there’s certain things that we just can’t do. There are a few things that you can do months before the big day that are going to make a huge difference in your makeup application. So here are some important pieces of information to guide you through the makeup application process and understand how we, as artists, work!
Let’s get started with the do’s!
- Have photos of several inspo looks to show your makeup artist the look you are going for (you can find some good ones on Pinterest or Google)
- They will be able to ask you questions and get specifics on your style. For example, asking you what you like and don’t like about each photo will help them create the best look for you.
- Keep an open mind
- All we ask is that you trust us and be open to suggestions made by your makeup artist. We went to school to learn about technique, colorings, tones, etc. We are making suggestions to help you look your best! Of course if you are ever uncomfortable with an idea express that to your artist! Communication is very important.
- Take your skincare routine seriously if you are expecting a flawless makeup application
- We are not magicians, and while we can cover blemishes, skin discolorations, etc…we cannot remove wrinkles, fine lines or stop oil production. The key to mitigating these skin issues is taking care of your skin and skincare routine on a daily basis! Get a skin routine going for best results.
- Get the lashes!
- They will enhance your photos! Even if you have super long lashes a little additional fullness never hurt anyone! If you have sensitive eyes, we can always customize lashes to fit your needs!
Let’s get into the don’ts!
- Ask your MUA to recreate your everyday look exactly how you do it
- If you’re a girl who absolutely loves how you do your own makeup on a daily basis, and want to incorporate that on your wedding day, then you should plan on doing your own makeup. We as artists, will never do your makeup EXACTLY like you do, as we have different techniques to applying makeup.
- Get too caught up in the latest beauty trends
- Don’t listen to the Tik Tok and Instagram trends….PLEASE! Many of those “artists”can make their own face look amazing with the latest trends and crazes, because they have practiced it on their face a million times. However, if they tried to apply it to anyone else it would look like a hot mess because they do not have the knowledge of face shapes, color theory, eye shapes, etc. If you ask most makeup artists – they will CRINGE at those social media videos and the way the makeup has been applied. These types of videos are created for “likes”, not to showcase actual technique.
- Skip your trial
- A trial is an important way for your artist to come up with a curated look for you. One that enhances your face and eye shape, matches your skin tone and texture, and enhances your features! After the trial, you should give your artist feedback and critiques so that they can adjust anything you did not like about the look for the wedding day!
- Change your skincare routine too close to wedding day
- This can cause breakouts, or other skin issues, such as allergic reactions. The best time to begin a wedding day skincare routine is a full year in advance. This will give you time to find the products that work well with your skin, as well as give the products time to deliver results. If you are unsure about what products you should use for your skin type, visit your dermatologist.
- Get waxed too close to the wedding day
- Waxing can cause redness, irritation, swelling, discolorations, or even burns. Receiving this service too close to the wedding date can alter the makeup application or the makeup may not adhere to the skin properly.
Click here to read our blog about Wedding Day Beauty Services and when you should get those done!